Color Blocking 101

Color blocking is a trend that has survived many decades so, at this point, it's no longer a trend - it's a standard. One of my personal style goals is to incorporate more color into my wardrobe (in all seasons!) and I have experimented with colors and prints over the past few months like never before. 


While I don't follow many fashion rules, I think it's important for those afraid of color to have a color guide to reference when attempting to incorporate more color into their wardrobe. I recently stumbled on this handy color blocking diagram. Save it to your phone and reference it on your next shopping adventure!

Here are a few looks that should bring this diagram to life:

Complementary. Complementary colors are colors that are on opposite sides of the color wheel, such as red + green. Don't worry - with the right shade of green (i.e. mint), this color combo can be gorg without you looking like a Christmas tree.


 Analogous. Analogous colors are colors that are next to each other + similar on the color wheel, for example green and blue. 


Triadic. Triadic colors are evenly spaced along the color wheel; for example, green, purple, and orange. This blogger pairs her emerald green trousers with a simple purple top and a pop of orange in her necklace. 


 Monochromatic. Monochromatic colors are colors of a single hue. Outside of head to toe black or head to toe white, I haven't ventured out much relative to styling an outfit with a single hue or shades of a single hue. But I'm definitely up for the challenge, because I LOVE the look!


I recently paired complementary colors, purple and yellow, together for this bright winter to spring transition look. I found this chunky knit sweater in my favorite shade of purple at a nearby Express Factory store and the mustard chinos are from GAP. The mules were an end of season Nordstrom find, the bag is from Francesca's, and the earrings were a gift! I love how it came together + as we get closer to spring, I'm eager to experiment with color even more!

sweater: Express Factory similar | chinos: GAP similar 
mules: Nordstrom Rack | tote: Francesca's 

Do you love color or do you tend to play it safe with neutrals?

Comments