Master Bedroom Makeover

It's often said that your bedroom should be a sanctuary of sorts. A place of comfort and rest.

Until a few days ago, this bedroom was anything but...comfortable. When we bought this house 6 years ago, I was about 6 months pregnant. We moved in and I made a mad dash to get the house ready before our baby girl arrived. I'm not sure what the rush was about, but once the dust settled, I regretted almost ALL of my furniture purchases and design choices. Also, for whatever reason, our bedroom fell to the bottom of the priority list once the common areas were finished. BIG. MISTAKE. I say this because, for some, the bedroom is one of the rooms you spend the most time, so it's important (if you're able) to invest in making it beautiful + cozy.

We always knew we wanted to take another stab at making over the room but time got away from us - we had another baby, my bonus daughter moved in with us full time, and we've been going full speed ahead with little time (and, often, little money) to prioritize it.


But a few months ago, we started talking about purchasing a newer (bigger!) mattress, which meant we needed a new bed frame and, before we knew it, we were making over our bedroom!


It started with this new bed frame. We walked into the store, spotted it, fell in love, and purchased it along with 2 new nightstands. Except it never occurred to us to MEASURE the space we were planning to put the BIGGER bed and BIGGER nightstands. Geez. As it turns out, the only place in the room that the new bed and nightstands would fit is in front of the window. I was initially really sad about this because I live for natural light and I knew the bed would block out quite a bit of it but, after a couple days, I learned to love it. I realize now that placing the bed in the center of the room really makes the room flow better. 


As far as the rest of the decor is concerned, I knew I wanted to keep things pretty neutral. We settled on shades of brown, antique white, white, metallics, and a splash of color in the faux greenery.

Overall, I love how it came together! It's so cozy + my new favorite room in the house! 

Details: bed frame + nightstands: Nebraska Furniture Mart | quilt: Target | throw pillows: Homegoods, Kirklands, Tuesdsay Morning | area rug: Target | window treatments: Homegoods | nightstand lamps: Hobby Lobby | bookshelf & arm chair: Wayfair | pouf ottoman: Amazon | wall frames: Hobby Lobby | clover wall mirror: Target | other decor: Homegoods & Hobby Lobby

I debated about sharing the before photo because it's so terrible. But I need y'all to understand how far we've come. ha! Now, to my defense, this photo was taken AFTER we purchased the new bed and we stopped putting energy into the room (in all of it's bland, mismatched glory), including making up the bed or putting clothes away. #dontjudgeme 


Side Note: Does this bed look microscopic or what? It was a queen but it looks SO small compared to our new bed! Grateful for the glow up, y'all!

Comments