Red Table Talk

Jada Pinkett Smith, her mother Adrienne, and daughter Willow debuted their Facebook talk show, Red Table Talk, today. Y'all...the first episode was EVERYTHING. I even dropped a couple thug tears. In the episode, Jada, a fellow bonus mom, sat down with Will's ex-wife and her bonus son's mother, Sheree Fletcher for a very (and I mean VERY) candid conversation about their 20+ year co-parenting journey. While you could feel the love and respect between the two, you definitely still sense a bit of tension, even after 20 years. And, honestly, I get it. 

I am still digesting the episode, but here are my initial reactions:

1. Co-parenting is so, so hard. So hard. I admire Jada and Sheree for sucking up their pride for the sake of the child in the middle. It's clear that they didn't always get it right, but they always tried. It takes a special woman to step in and raise (or co-raise) another woman's child. It takes an equally special woman to LET another woman love her child's father and subsequently influence her child.

2. When Sheree reveals to Jada that Trey loved her after meeting her for the first time, Jada got choked up. And I got choked up with her. Thug tears, I tell you. Because that's what it's all about.

3. I long for the day that bio mom and I can sit down and have a grown up conversation about the challenges of co-parenting and, ultimately, how we can work together for the best interests of K. After almost 9 years, that conversation seems like it is still light years away. But, I'll never give up hope.

4. Jada's mother, Adrienne, is #goals. I'm talking melanin poppin-fountain of youth-body #goals. That woman is fine as hell. She doesn't look a day over 45. Jada needs to do an entire episode on that woman's diet and exercise regimen. Like frfr.

5. Willow's whole entire vibe is #goals.  She is so empathetic toward her mother candidly sharing about her struggles as a bonus mom. You can tell their bond is rock solid and, as a mother of 3 daughters, I hope to have that same solid bond as they grow into young women.

6. Jada insinuated that Trey may be dealing with some personal battles as a direct result of being a child in the middle of divorce + blending a new family. And that really breaks my heart - especially as I think about K's future and how the decisions made by the adults in her life may affect her long-term. The thought of that pains me, really. But what can I do? Do my part, I guess, which is to love her and always try to make her feel anything other than "step", love and support her dad, and tolerate (I mean respect, oops) her bootleg mama (wait, did I say that out loud? oops). 

If you haven't seen the episode, check it out here. Best 20 minutes of my day.

You can find the episode here.

Source

Comments