Supplements + Pregnancy? Yay or Nay?

About 3.5 years ago, I started a supplement regimen simply to lose my kangaroo pouch that I acquired after having my first baby girl. In about 90 days, I lost that pouch + so much more. Who knew that healing my gut with quality supplements would enable my body to burn fat AND zap my seasonal allergy flare-ups and intense sugar cravings? Who knew?!

Fast forward to exactly one year after starting these supplements...found out we were expecting our second baby! Leading up to that exciting news, I had experienced all kinds of non-scale victories in addition to losing 10 pounds and 20 inches, so needless to say that I was terrified at the possibility of my OB suggesting that I stop taking the products while pregnant. My OB knew and supported me taking the products. She even shared once that a couple of her other patients had similar success. So, I brought the products I was taking along with a detailed ingredient list to my 8 week check-up and she gave me a thumbs up!

side note: These products are all-natural, plant and mineral-based, so I had already decided that I would continue taking them even if she didn't give me the green light. Many doctors will say no to supplements, primarily because supplements (ALL supplements - even vitamin C!) are not FTC/FDA approved and few have gone through clinical trials, so they consider it a liability to sign-off on. It's honestly kind of backwards because supplements are proven to fill nutrition gaps, which helps with immunity, which ultimately prevents illness, but I'll save my conspiracy theories for another day.


Anyway, I continued taking the products throughout my pregnancy and even replaced my over-the-counter prenatal with Plexus' multivitamin + omega supplement. And, let me tell you, the differences between the 2 pregnancies were DRASTIC. Like, no excessive weight gain, no swelling, no tight muscles, no indigestion/heart burn, no sickness/flu, and no itchy scalp! Yep, even skin and scalp issues are a symptom of an unbalanced gut. Again, who knew?!

At exactly 39 weeks, I delivered my baby girl. Labor was relatively short (about 8 hours), delivery was smooth, and recovery was a breeze. And, the best part, she was/is healthy!


She's a finger sucker, which means she is even more susceptible to germs, yet in 2 years, she has never had more than a runny nose and occasional cough. I believe that is due, in part, to all of the good stuff she received in utero and while nursing (yep, even took the products while nursing!). Her immune system is strong.

So, for me, it's a resounding YAY. I don't plan to have any more babies, but I will always be down with supplementation - pregnant or otherwise. Even the healthiest people - vegans and fitness buffs - need supplements to fill those nutrient gaps!

I'm always happy to share my regimen! Please reach out if you are curious. 




Comments